Add support for translation backends other than gettext
|Reported by:||marinho||Owned by:||nobody|
|Cc:||ethan.jucovy@…, aurelio@…, ojiidotch@…, kitsunde@…, stas@…, rtnpro||Triage Stage:||Accepted|
|Has patch:||yes||Needs documentation:||yes|
|Needs tests:||no||Patch needs improvement:||yes|
Using gettext has been a problem on many projects. It's weird to translate and is limited to (static) potfiles (nothing convince me that Pootle Server and Rosetta are great ideas, actually they are just quick fixes for a bad implemented tool).
So, I'd like to suggest you to make a contrib app to have all i18n functions.
Not only the existing functions but provide backend system for alternative ways to make translations, to replace gettext for database stored message strings, or dynamic/smart translations.
Would be helpful also if the same application has a way to translate database objects, like django-multilingual (1) and polyglot (2) do.
I can work on it if the idea get approved.
Change History (19)
comment:1 Changed 6 years ago by jezdez
- Component changed from Uncategorized to Internationalization
- Needs documentation unset
- Needs tests unset
- Patch needs improvement unset
- Triage Stage changed from Unreviewed to Design decision needed
comment:7 Changed 4 years ago by aaugustin
- Easy pickings unset
- Triage Stage changed from Design decision needed to Accepted
- UI/UX unset
comment:9 Changed 4 years ago by aaugustin
- Summary changed from Contrib application for i18n functions to Add support for translation backends other than gettext