i18n documentation refactoring
|Reported by:||ramiro||Owned by:||ramiro|
|Severity:||Keywords:||l10n i18n translation message files localization intrnationalization|
|Cc:||mtredinnick, gonz, jezdez||Triage Stage:||Accepted|
|Has patch:||yes||Needs documentation:||no|
|Needs tests:||no||Patch needs improvement:||no|
The attached code reshuffles and modifies the internationalization docs in the following way:
- Divided the documentation in: An introductory document (with links to the other docs and to a couple of external resources) plus thee documents describing different tasks: internationalization, localization and deployment.
- i18n doc: Consolidated the sections that talk about lazy translations and put the Pluralization section before them.
- Removed the content about translating Django itself that was scattered all over the document(s). Because of that it wasn't helpful to the minor audience interested in it and confused things for the major audience: people dealing with apps i18n. Moved the non-redundant text to the already existing relevant internals/contributing.txt section.
- Moved text about how to create a minimal Django translation (to be able to activate an app translation to a given language) from the locale middleware notes (now in the deployment doc) to the l10n doc, leaving only a small note and a reference. The description of Django technical messages got moved to internals/contributing.txt.
- Put the gettext on win32 section on the l10n doc.
- Small typo fixes.
Things for further thought:
- What to do with the Using translations in your own projects section (now on the l10n doc)? Currently it's a mix of things (duplicate info, app architecture, integration and deployment advice).
- Move some content to the howto/ Django doc sub-tree?
Change History (22)
Changed 7 years ago by ramiro
comment:1 Changed 7 years ago by ramiro
- Has patch set
- Keywords l10n i18n translation message files localization intrnationalization added
- Needs documentation unset
- Needs tests unset
- Patch needs improvement unset