Memcache backend should allow retrieval of stored binary objects
|Reported by:||jhenry <jhenry@…>||Owned by:||nobody|
|Component:||Core (Cache system)||Version:||master|
|Cc:||mitsuhiko, dan@…||Triage Stage:||Accepted|
|Has patch:||yes||Needs documentation:||no|
|Needs tests:||yes||Patch needs improvement:||yes|
Currently, the memcache backend is calling smart_unicode() on the output of the cache. This is not correct behavior, as there is no documentation saying that only unicode data can and should be stored in the cache. Theoretically any bytestream should be able to be stored in the cache.
The use case that I am working with in particular is a captcha generator. I was able to store the captcha image data generated with PIL in the cache, but on retrieval, I got a UnicodeDecodeError.
If the unicode restriction is intended, there should be an error on insert as well.
I have a patch to allow binary objects to be retrieved from the memcache backend if the unicode decode fails.
Change History (7)
Changed 7 years ago by jhenry <jhenry@…>
comment:1 Changed 7 years ago by Simon G <dev@…>
- Component changed from Uncategorized to Cache system
- Has patch set
- Needs documentation unset
- Needs tests unset
- Patch needs improvement unset
- Triage Stage changed from Unreviewed to Design decision needed
comment:2 Changed 7 years ago by jacob
- Needs tests set
- Patch needs improvement set
- Resolution set to fixed
- Status changed from new to closed
- Triage Stage changed from Design decision needed to Accepted
comment:3 Changed 7 years ago by mitsuhiko
- Resolution fixed deleted
- Status changed from closed to reopened
comment:5 Changed 7 years ago by PhiR
- Resolution set to invalid
- Status changed from reopened to closed