|Version 69 (modified by rossp, 8 years ago) (diff)|
This page collects any and all unofficial resources regarding Django.
We'll say it again: These are unofficial resources, so take all of these documents with a grain of salt. This is a publicly editable wiki.
- Sites using Django
- Django application components
- Open-Source Django projects
- Installing and configuring Django
- Development environment
- Code examples
- Web services/APIs
- Tutorials on the Web
- Resources in other languages
Sites using Django
Django application components
These are open-source application components that you can plug into any project.
- django-databasetemplateloader - A Django template loader which loads templates from the database
- django-registration - A simple, generic user-registration application for Django
- django-robots - A simple application for Django to manage robots exclusion files (robots.txt) via admin interface
- django-tagging - A generic tagging application for Django
- django-voting - A generic voting application for Django
- GoFlow - A workflow engine for django inspired by the zope2 product Openflow
- snapboard - Python Forum/Bulletin-Board for Django
- Zope3 Page Templates - Makes Zope3 Page Templates available to Django sites.
- SimpleTAL Templates - Makes SimpleTAL Page Templates available to Django sites.
- Sphene Community Tools - (SCT) board and wiki applications which can be easily integrated into custom django projects. BSD.
- django-xmlrpc - a means by which a Django developer can expose their views (or indeed any other function) using XML-RPC.
- DMigrate tool to migrate Django databases easily.
- django-simpleaggregation A component which allows for (simplistic) aggregation of data about Django models.
- django-lifestream A generic application for the Django framework that lets you combine multiple RSS and Atom feeds into one lifestream-style page.
- django-sslauth SSL client certificate authentication and validation
- django-event-calendar A event calendar application component
- django-sphinx A full-text search integration with Django using the Sphinx engine
- kss.django A django application for integration of AJAX with KSS.
- comments A comment application to allow users top post comment on your website. Inspired by freecomments.
- Photologue A Django application for uploading, resizing, organizing, grouping, relating and displaying photographs and image galleries.
Open-Source Django projects
These are stand-alone applications written using Django.
- Django-based projects at Google Code Hosting.
- djangoproject.com: See the full code and templates for the Django-powered portions of this site (e.g., everything except the ticket system). The Python code is available under the BSD license, but the templates are copyrighted by World Online and shouldn't be copied.
- Diamanda Wiki and MyghtyBoard Forum: A wiki and forum. GPL.
- Custard/Melt: A work-in-progress community Web app developed by Greenpeace. LGPL.
- Django Photo Gallery: A "gallery with a twist" by Georg Bauer.
- A simple CMS by Georg Bauer. (Powers the site http://rfc1437.de/.)
- An IRC logger by Georg Bauer. (Powers the Django IRC logs.)
- Zyons: A forum/community application.
- WorkStyle: A "Get Things Done" to-do list management application.
- Stockphoto: A simple photo gallery by Jason McBrayer.
- Feedjack: A planet/feed aggregator by Gustavo Picón. Sample sites: http://django.feedjack.org/, http://gnome.feedjack.org/, http://google.feedjack.org/.
- FFSomething: A suite for managing open wireless mesh networks
- BookMaker: An open-source Web application for managing small parimutuel betting pools (Browse source).
- RISE Project (Resources and Information for Success in Education): A project to manage and publish academic catalog information, including programs, courses, and schedules. BSD.
- IP-to-country application: Allows you to get the country flag of comments.
- notmm: Multi-purpose and portable web toolkit for Django (Apache License Version 2.0/BSD-style License. Last updated: 2007-09-05)
- FileBrowser - An extension to the Django admin interface.
- djac - a Django app which collects tickets from multiple trac sites into one page
- Blog - weblog, portfolio, cv
- Sphene Community Tools - (SCT) board and wiki applications which can be easily integrated into custom django projects. BSD.
- djazz - Application and Utilitiy Collection.
- djangosnippets.org - Code-sharing site with source code available.
- Satchmo - the Django e-commerce project.
- Babik - A django based MPD client
- bcfg2 Dynamic Reports - bcfg2 provides a Reporting Facility based on Django (bcfg2 is a configuration management system like cfengine)
- PyLucid CMS - A lightweight content management system. Ideal for Shared-Webhosting: No shell account needed. Run at least with CGI. (GPL)
- Evennia - A feature-liberal MUD server based on Django and Twisted. Heavy web integration, easily scriptable/extendable in Python.
- tracka.info - Share media file with small team or family. New BSD.
- Feedme - Another RSS feed aggregator, aimed more for personal use than Feedjack.
- frePPLe An open source framework for production planning applications, with a Django user interface.
- Django API: Autogenerated Django API documentation
- Django API: Another autogenerated Django(0.96) API documentation -from svn revision 6525 17/10/2007
- Compilation of Tutorials: Intended to be a complete and concise list of Django tutorials
- CookBook: Code recipes.
- CommonPitfalls: Common developer errors, gotchas, etc.
- DocumentationSuggestions: A place to put docs that you wish you could have found while learning
- Do's and Dont's for application writers: how to make an application that is easy to distribute
- Mindmap Cheat Sheet for the Generic Views API as described in The Django Book (chapter 9).
- FormField documentation for Manipulators
- ExtendedUserModel: How to extend the auth systems's User class to contain extra data. (Warning: kludge!)
- Making Custom form fields: Adventures in making new form fields.
- Custom Upload Fields with Template Filters: extra features for upload fields.
- Developer Documentation: Documentation about the internals of Django.
- User-contributed middleware
- Djangoutils: Miscellaneous Django utilities.
- Initial SQL data using Django ORM: How to do it.
- Alter Model's Storage: Automatically changing a table to suit your app & database.
- Using Django and PureFTPd?: How to use Django's user database in PureFTPd. Surprisingly
- Working with 3rd Party Apps and Making your Apps Portable?: How to setup your project structure, where to put 3rd party apps, development and production setup.
- Django & Open Office: An example of how to use Django and Open Office to do advance document templating.
- ThumbNails: Discussion about options for adding thumbnails to Django.
- Dynamic models: Information on creating models at run-time and how to work with them.
- Newforms Howto: Lllama's handy how-do-I guide for newforms admin.
Installing and configuring Django
- Server arrangements: How to use Django with FCGI, Twisted, etc.
- Setup on Mac OS X Tiger: Includes installing python 2.4 (which isn't required), the latest version of postgresql, and psycopg.
- WindowsInstall - install django on Windows in 5 minutes (using sqlite and the internal webserver)
- Django, lighttpd and FastCGI: A book-like documentation about running django with Lighttpd
- MovablePythonInstall - install Django on a USB stick using Movable Python
- DjangoOnAStick - Install Django on a USB stick.
- Simple Bash Script To Setup Development Environment: An example of how to set up your development environment.
- 'django-settings' Bash function: Save the typing of DJANGO_SETTINGS_MODULE.
- Django development with Vim: Hints and tips for using the Vim editor.
- A python script for parsing settings.py: A small python script can be used to read, modify, save settings.py file.
- A python script for parsing urls.py: A small python script can be used to read, modify, save urls.py file.
- Profiling Django: How to use the Python hotshot profiler with Django
- Greasemonkey script for djangoproject.com: Shortens titles to faciliate better tab browsing of Django's documentation
- SimpleDebugThroughExceptions: Very simple method for print debug info.
- SimplePrintAppForDebugging: A simple print app for debugging.
- DebuggingDjangoWithWinpdb: Debugging Django apps with Winpdb
- DbDumpScript: A python script can be used for dumpping and loading data from database.
- Simple Schema Migration for Django – Simple tool for managing automated schema migrations
- Django doctest coverage: Patch so python manage.py test reports code coverage in HTML.
- TemplateTagsCheatSheet - A quick list of all the template tags.
- Using Myghty Templates in Django - How to use Myghty templates in Django
- Zope3 Page Templates for Django – Add-on allowing to use ZPT in Django
- PHP template loader - Integrate Django templates into an existing PHP based site
- Cheetah template for django: Generic views + cheetah's admin functions. Contact dj@…. (BROKEN LINK)
- SimpleTAL Templates - Makes SimpleTAL Page Templates available to Django sites as a templating language
- http://www.djangosnippets.org/snippets/97/ - Intergrate mako and genshi with django
- Ajax/DHTML shopping basket in Django example
- ContentBBcode Parser - How-to make pluggable special-tag parser
- Reading Binary Files - How to read Baldurs Gate II character files and display data about the character
- Ajax and Django, using Dojo How to submit a form using Ajax with Dojo.
- Ajax and Django, using YUI How to make ajax work with Django with Yahoo! UI Library.
- LDAP Django Auth Backend: Dead-Simple LDAP in Django with Backends
- Add Dojo Editor: How to add a rich-text editor to administration pages with Dojo.
- Custom TinyMCE Widget: How to create a custom TinyMCE widget using django.newforms
- Simple 'scaffolding'?: Spew out simple form fields as a base for modification
- More about scaffolding: Spew out simple forms for your whole app, including automated urls
- Generic URL Generator: Generate URLs when using generic views
- Model 'middleware': Add pre/post save/delete callbacks to any model.
- Simple Custom Manipulators?: Spews out a custom manipulator for your model, primed and ready for tweaking.
- Auto All-Apps Module?: Simple package with all the installed app modules underneith it.
- Safe Settings context processor: Provide template access to your settings variables.
- Form Generator: Simple script to spew out a newform from a given model.
- How to find items that are not used: doing Left Outer Joins with Django's ORM.
- FacebookIntegration - Integrating Facebook with Django
- A Google search engine front end in Django tutorial
- XML-RPC Example of doing XML-RPC in Django
- JSON-RPC Example of doing JSON-RPC in Django
- WebServices: An example showing how to access a web service (Amazon.com) using Python.
- FlickrIntegration - One way of integrating flickr with Django
- GoogieSpell - Spell checking TextFields with GoogieSpell.
- Django and AST - Using Django with Amazon Site Thumbnail.
- AmazonSimpleStorageService - Version of FileField which will store your files on amazon's storage service
Tutorials on the Web
- Snakes and Rubies Transcript: Currently a partial transcript of the Snakes and Rubies meeting videos.
- DjangoScreencasts: Official and unofficial screencasts showing Django development in action.
- Python Web development with Django: A presentation in pseudo-PowerPoint format that provides a good overview.
- The Django Web Application Framework: From the ACCU UK Python track, April 2006
- Jacob's Google Tech Talk - "Web Development for Perfectionists with Deadlines"
- Tout savoir sur Django (french) - Presentation in June 07 at French Python Days, overview + advanced tips.
Resources in other languages
- Translation grid for documents in '/docs': A work in progress translation project.
- Italian Django Tutorial: An Italian Django tutorial step by step. [Italian]
- Chinese Django Tutorial: A Chinese Django tutorial step by step. [Chinese]
- Jarosław Zabiełło Blog: Various Django tips and tutorials [Polish]
- Biblioteka Pythona: Polish documentation and examples [Polish]
- French translation of Django documentation
- Django-fr : French community and documentation.
- Django.gr : Greek Django community/user group
- Django Brazil: To organize suggestions and ideas.
- Django.es : A Spanish Django community.
- Developers for hire: Community members available to do Django work.
- Django-friendly Web hosts
- Official Django badges
- Official Django logos
- DjangoUsers: User community about django.
- Pybots: Continuous integration testing of the Django development trunk against latest changes to the Python 2.5 maintenance branch and 2.6 development trunk.
- django-hotclub: Forum for discussing Django application development