New comments upgrade guide breaks permalinks, views
|Reported by:||benspaulding||Owned by:||nobody|
|Severity:||Keywords:||sql, comments, docs|
|Cc:||Triage Stage:||Design decision needed|
|Has patch:||no||Needs documentation:||no|
|Needs tests:||no||Patch needs improvement:||no|
The SQL provided by the comment upgrade guide does not preserve a comment’s id and therefore breaks most permalinks and any detail view that uses the id to resolve the url.
Neither of these cases are absolutely critical because:
- permalinks using <url>/#<comment_id> still get you to the page, just not the comment,
- almost no one (I would guess) uses a comment detail view.
Further, if someone was using both comments and free comments it will not be possible to preserve the id’s for both as they are being merged in to one table. But they could choose which one to preserve and do that one first.
Unfortunately my SQL-fu is not good enough to write a patch, or even know if preserving the comment’s id is possible.
Change History (3)
comment:1 Changed 6 years ago by thejaswi_puthraya
- Needs documentation unset
- Needs tests unset
- Patch needs improvement unset
comment:2 Changed 6 years ago by thejaswi_puthraya
- Component changed from Documentation to django.contrib.comments
- Triage Stage changed from Unreviewed to Design decision needed