Opened 7 years ago

Closed 7 years ago

Last modified 4 years ago

#8219 closed (fixed)

RSS Syndication UnicodeDecodeError

Reported by: alperkanat Owned by: nobody
Component: contrib.syndication Version: master
Severity: Keywords:
Cc: Triage Stage: Ready for checkin
Has patch: yes Needs documentation: no
Needs tests: no Patch needs improvement: no
Easy pickings: UI/UX:


i'm generating a rss feed from a model... it works fine.. but if i use LocaleTextCalendar somewhere in the template using some locale (tr_TR.UTF-8) it says:

UnicodeDecodeError at /feeds/latest/
'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xc4 in position 9: ordinal not in range(128)

if i restart the development server and go to a page that doesn't include the LocaleTextCalendar with the locale, then the feed works fine.. But once I go to the page that includes the LocaleTextCalendar with locale, even the page that doesn't have it, won't work.. I searched through all the code if I assign some locale somewhere but nope.. I forgot to use u around the code but it still didn't solve this problem even I added u..

Attachments (1)

rss.patch (2.4 KB) - added by alperkanat 7 years ago.
decoding ascii instead of utf-8

Download all attachments as: .zip

Change History (4)

Changed 7 years ago by alperkanat

decoding ascii instead of utf-8

comment:1 Changed 7 years ago by mtredinnick

  • milestone changed from post-1.0 to 1.0
  • Needs documentation unset
  • Needs tests unset
  • Patch needs improvement unset
  • Triage Stage changed from Unreviewed to Ready for checkin

I don't really understand the problem description -- I understand the error, but not how you caused it. Still, the patch looks like a reasonable idea as a general rule.

The only problem is that there's probably no guarantee that strftime() will return any particular encoding at all, which is a bit of a problem. That's a problem with the underlying C library call, if I'm right. Nothing we can do about it without replacing strftime with our own version (which isn't impossible if it comes to that).

Promoting to checkin stats and setting the milestone, since the patch can't hurt and looks more consistent in any case.

comment:2 Changed 7 years ago by mtredinnick

  • Resolution set to fixed
  • Status changed from new to closed

(In [8397]) Fixed #8219 -- More robust date to string conversion in syndication feeds.
(Sometimes) Affects people running in locales that use non-ASCII date strings.
Patch from alperkanat.

comment:3 Changed 4 years ago by jacob

  • milestone 1.0 deleted

Milestone 1.0 deleted

Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.
Back to Top