Proposal: load translations from settings.TEMPLATE_DIRS
|Reported by:||jcassee||Owned by:||nobody|
|Has patch:||no||Needs documentation:||no|
|Needs tests:||no||Patch needs improvement:||no|
Template paths from settings.TEMPLATE_DIRS are not always (often not?) located within the Python project directory. These directories contain site-wide templates that may contain i18n strings that should be translated. It makes sense to locate the message catalogs for these string with the templates. I propose the following additional convention for translations:
- Look for a locale directory in every path in settings.TEMPLATE_DIRS. If Django finds a translation, the translation will be installed.
This set-up is already possible by setting settings.LOCALE_PATHS, but this ticket is about proposing a new convention for templates.
If this ticket is accepted I am willing to do the patch.
Change History (6)
comment:1 Changed 7 years ago by jcassee
- Needs documentation unset
- Needs tests unset
- Patch needs improvement unset
comment:2 Changed 7 years ago by programmerq
- Triage Stage changed from Unreviewed to Design decision needed
comment:3 Changed 7 years ago by mtredinnick
- milestone set to post-1.0
- Triage Stage changed from Design decision needed to Accepted