[patch]django-admin.py warning on usage of python mod name as project name
|Reported by:||Garion||Owned by:||thejaswi_puthraya|
|Component:||Core (Management commands)||Version:||master|
|Severity:||Keywords:||django-admin.py warn project name|
|Has patch:||yes||Needs documentation:||no|
|Needs tests:||no||Patch needs improvement:||no|
First of all, kudos on a very clear and thorough tutorial. The steps are small enough not to skip things, but large enough to get somewhere. I have a small suggestion for improvement though:
"You’ll need to avoid naming projects after built-in Python or Django components. In particular, this means you should avoid using names like django (which will conflict with Django itself) or site (which conflicts with a built-in Python package)."
I understood this, so I chose the name 'bdb' for my project, which is not a python keyword. This name led to a correct project start, but as soon as I ran ./manage.py runserver, there was an error about not being able to find bdb.settings. This in turn led me (and #django) to think there was a problem with module paths. It took us about half an hour before we figured out that 'bdb' is an existing python module, and that was the cause of the problems.
So, it would be even better if the above text also said how you can check this: "After you've chosen a name for your project, start the python interactive shell and type 'import projectname'. If this succeeds, the name you've chosen is already in use, and you must choose another name."
Or, alternatively, it would be great if django-admin.py startproject namehere tried "import namehere", and if that succeeds, tell the user to choose another name.
Change History (5)
comment:1 Changed 6 years ago by Garion
- Needs documentation unset
- Needs tests unset
- Patch needs improvement unset
Changed 6 years ago by thejaswi_puthraya
comment:2 Changed 6 years ago by thejaswi_puthraya
- Cc thejaswi.puthraya@… added
- Component changed from Uncategorized to django-admin.py
- Has patch set
- Keywords django-admin.py warn project name added; tutorial removed
- Owner changed from nobody to thejaswi_puthraya
- Status changed from new to assigned
- Summary changed from Suggestion for textual improvement tutorial01 to [patch]Suggestion for textual improvement tutorial01
- Triage Stage changed from Unreviewed to Accepted
comment:3 Changed 6 years ago by thejaswi_puthraya
- Summary changed from [patch]Suggestion for textual improvement tutorial01 to [patch]django-admin.py warning on usage of python mod name as project name