changepassword fails on Windows
|Reported by:||jpaulett||Owned by:||jpaulett|
|Has patch:||yes||Needs documentation:||no|
|Needs tests:||no||Patch needs improvement:||no|
"manage.py changepassword" fails on Windows 2008 R2 and Windows 7 due to getpass receiving an unicode string.
C:\project>manage.py changepassword bob Changing password for user 'bob' Traceback (most recent call last): djangorecipe.manage.main('test_project.settings') File "C:\project\vendor\djangorecipe\src\djangorecipe\manage.py", line 9, in main management.execute_from_command_line(sys.argv) File "C:\project\eggs\django-1.6.2-py2.7.egg\django\core\management\__init__.py", line 399, in execute_from_command_line utility.execute() File "C:\project\eggs\django-1.6.2-py2.7.egg\django\core\management\__init__.py", line 392, in execute self.fetch_command(subcommand).run_from_argv(self.argv) File "C:\project\eggs\django-1.6.2-py2.7.egg\django\core\management\base.py", line 242, in run_from_argv self.execute(*args, **options.__dict__) File "C:\project\eggs\django-1.6.2-py2.7.egg\django\core\management\base.py", line 285, in execute output = self.handle(*args, **options) File "C:\project\eggs\django-1.6.2-py2.7.egg\django\contrib\auth\management\commands\changepassword.py", line 50, in handle p1 = self._get_pass() File "C:\project\eggs\django-1.6.2-py2.7.egg\django\contrib\auth\management\commands\changepassword.py", line 21, in _get_pass p = getpass.getpass(prompt=prompt) File "C:\Python27\lib\getpass.py", line 95, in win_getpass msvcrt.putch(c) TypeError: must be char, not unicode
Related to #19807, which had the same error in createsuperuser on Windows. I have tested the same solution to force_str and it resolves the issue (Pull Request is incoming). On other OSes, everything works fine.
This appears to be a regression was introduced in 1.5 and is still present today. changepassword on Windows worked under 1.4. It definitely seems relevant to include in the 1.7 release and potentially as a bug fix release for 1.5 & 1.6. I found no other reports of this error, so there does not seem to be a large affected population, but would be helpful to me to have as part of any upcoming 1.6.x bug fix release (I do have a workaround under 1.6 until then).
Change History (5)
comment:1 Changed 11 months ago by jpaulett
- Needs documentation unset
- Needs tests unset
- Patch needs improvement unset
comment:3 Changed 11 months ago by Tim Graham <timograham@…>
- Resolution set to fixed
- Status changed from new to closed