Unrelated tests will fail if locales is not installed
|Reported by:||reidrac||Owned by:||anubhav9042|
|Has patch:||no||Needs documentation:||no|
|Needs tests:||no||Patch needs improvement:||no|
If locales packages is not present any UTF-8 related test will fail with an UnicodeEncodeError in Python's codecs.py, that is in fact misleading.
Please note that setting the LANG (and related) env variable won't solve the problem as the issue seems related to the locales not being generated.
Perhaps we could include a test that detects the actual problem (locales not configured).
This issue can be reproduced in a debian based system by removing locales package (with dpkg --purge locales) and running the test suite normally.
To fix the system just apt-get install locales and then dpkg-reconfigure locales and generate the locales you need (eg en_GB.UTF-8), and the tests will pass.
I'm attaching a full error log of running the tests in a Debian Jessie system with no locales installed.
Change History (4)
Changed 3 years ago by reidrac
comment:1 Changed 3 years ago by timo
- Component changed from Testing framework to Documentation
- Needs documentation unset
- Needs tests unset
- Patch needs improvement unset
- Triage Stage changed from Unreviewed to Accepted
- Type changed from Bug to Cleanup/optimization
comment:2 Changed 2 years ago by anubhav9042
- Cc anubhav9042@… added
- Owner changed from nobody to anubhav9042
- Status changed from new to assigned