Opened 9 years ago

Closed 9 years ago

Last modified 9 years ago

#2090 closed defect (fixed)

bad encoding in django.po french file

Reported by: fredz@… Owned by: hugo
Component: Internationalization Version: master
Severity: normal Keywords:
Cc: Triage Stage: Unreviewed
Has patch: no Needs documentation: no
Needs tests: no Patch needs improvement: no
Easy pickings: UI/UX:


line 15 :
should have "Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8\n"
instead of "Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1\n"

the file should be rebuild

Attachments (2)

django.po (53.1 KB) - added by fredz <fredz@…> 9 years ago.
po file converted to iso-8859-1 (31.9 KB) - added by fredz <fredz@…> 9 years ago.
corresponding mo file (msgfmt -o django.po)

Download all attachments as: .zip

Change History (7)

comment:1 Changed 9 years ago by ramiro

Hi fredz,

What's the reason of this suggestion?. I ask because I maintain the Agentinean spanish transalation and so far they are coded and tagged as ISO-8859-1 (inherited from the generic Spanish transalation). Is there anything in the Django documentation that suggest/mandates this?.

I'm no opposing the idea, I just want to know so I can change es_AR message catalogs to UTF-8 too if necessary.

A quick overview of the charset headers of some European language django.po files now (SVN revision 3083):


comment:2 Changed 9 years ago by fredz <fredz@…>

In fact, the file fr/LC_MESSAGES/django.po is utf-8 encoded but has a iso-latin header !
You are right, it would be better to translate django.po in iso-latin.
I can do it if you want, but I have no access

Changed 9 years ago by fredz <fredz@…>

po file converted to iso-8859-1

Changed 9 years ago by fredz <fredz@…>

corresponding mo file (msgfmt -o django.po)

comment:3 Changed 9 years ago by ramiro

  • Component changed from Admin interface to Internationalization
  • Owner changed from adrian to hugo


It seems Django (or more correctly the gettext tools) doesn't enforce any charset. From

Mind your charset

When creating a .po file with your favorite text editor, first edit the charset line (search for "CHARSET") and set it to the charset you'll be using to edit the content. Generally, utf-8 should work for most languages, but gettext should handle any charset you throw at it.

So it IMHO this ticket can be closed. If you read this and agree please do so.


comment:4 Changed 9 years ago by hugo

in the spirit of "do the least possible damage by doing the least possible work" ;-) - I just changed the charset denotation in the file to utf-8, as the file itself is utf-8.

comment:5 Changed 9 years ago by hugo

  • Resolution set to fixed
  • Status changed from new to closed

(In [3090]) fixed #2090: fixed bad charset header in po file

Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.
Back to Top