Document that runserver --insecure doesn't work with DEBUG False and CachedStaticFilesStorage
|Reported by:||Apreche||Owned by:||kedmiston|
|Has patch:||no||Needs documentation:||no|
|Needs tests:||no||Patch needs improvement:||no|
How to reproduce:
Enable the CachedStaticFilesStorage in your settings and turn DEBUG off.
DEBUG = False STATICFILES_STORAGE = 'django.contrib.staticfiles.storage.CachedStaticFilesStorage'
Turn on the runserver with the insecure flag
$ python manage.py runserver --insecure
Visit your runserver in your browser, and the static files will not load. When using the default django.contrib.staticfiles.storage.StaticFilesStorage the static files will load.
The reason is because of this section in contrib/staticfiles.storage.py
100 def url(self, name, force=false): 101 """ 102 Returns the real URL in DEBUG mode. 103 """ 104 if settings.DEBUG and not force: 105 hashed_name, fragment = name, '' 106 else:
When DEBUG is False, the automatic static file serving in runserver is disabled. But using runserver with --insecure will re-enable it. Because the CachedStaticFilesStorage only looks at the DEBUG flag, it will not work properly in this scenario. Perhaps that force parameter could be set to True when the --insecure flag is passed to runserver?
Yes, this is an extremely rare and low-priority edge case, but still a bug.
It's also not clear what the expected behavior is when both the --nostatic and --insecure flags are passed to runserver simultaneously. They sort of cancel each other out. Personally I feel the nostatic should take priority.
Change History (7)
comment:1 Changed 3 years ago by aaugustin
- Needs documentation unset
- Needs tests unset
- Patch needs improvement unset
- Triage Stage changed from Unreviewed to Design decision needed
comment:2 Changed 3 years ago by jezdez
- Triage Stage changed from Design decision needed to Accepted
- Type changed from Bug to Cleanup/optimization
comment:3 Changed 2 years ago by timo
- Component changed from contrib.staticfiles to Documentation
- Easy pickings set
- Summary changed from runserver --insecure doesn't work with DEBUG False and CachedStaticFilesStorage to Document that runserver --insecure doesn't work with DEBUG False and CachedStaticFilesStorage
comment:4 Changed 2 years ago by kedmiston
- Owner changed from nobody to kedmiston
- Status changed from new to assigned
comment:5 Changed 2 years ago by Tim Graham <timograham@…>
- Resolution set to fixed
- Status changed from assigned to closed