The sort arrows on the UI for the admin list display are backwards
|Reported by:||jsdalton||Owned by:||nobody|
|Cc:||Triage Stage:||Ready for checkin|
|Has patch:||no||Needs documentation:||no|
|Needs tests:||no||Patch needs improvement:||no|
The sort arrows on the column headers of the admin change list view are backwards (i.e. inverted).
Right now, on the change list view, if you are sorting a column ascending, the arrow shown is a down-pointing triangle. If you sort a column descending, it is an up-pointing triangle.
This is counter-intuitive, and, I would argue, just plain wrong. Here are my reasons in case you need them:
- Up = ascending, down = descending.
- An "up-pointing" triangle grows small to big, a "down-pointing" triangle goes big to small. This maps intuitive to ascending/descending sort order for numbers.
- Google image search for sort descending icon: http://www.google.com/images?q=sort+descending+icon . Google image search for sort ascending icon: http://www.google.com/images?q=sort+ascending+icon
- Both Mac OS X and Windows consistently use up triangle for ascending and down triangle for descending.
My apologies if this has been covered or discussed elsewhere (my search turned up nothing) or if I am overlooking something ridiculous.
Change History (9)
comment:1 Changed 5 years ago by DrMeers
- Needs documentation unset
- Needs tests unset
- Patch needs improvement unset
comment:3 Changed 5 years ago by Daishiman
- Triage Stage changed from Unreviewed to Design decision needed
comment:4 Changed 5 years ago by jezdez
- Triage Stage changed from Design decision needed to Accepted
Changed 5 years ago by julien
comment:5 Changed 5 years ago by julien
- milestone set to 1.3
- Triage Stage changed from Accepted to Ready for checkin