Deprecate mod_python support
|Reported by:||Robert Coup||Owned by:||nobody|
|Severity:||Keywords:||mod_python, mod_wsgi, wsgi, apache|
|Has patch:||yes||Needs documentation:||yes|
|Needs tests:||no||Patch needs improvement:||no|
As proposed & discussed in the 1.3 Start deprecating mod_python? thread on Django-Developers, here's the ticket.
For the rationale, see the mailing list thread.
Things to do:
- Make use of mod_python raise a
- Add "don't use this" messages to the deployment docs, and remove altogether from the install/etc documentation
- Update wiki pages to steer people away from mod_python
- Add to the Deprecation timeline and release notes
From Russell in the same mailing-list thread:
The only catch I can think of that hasn't been raised is the hotshot profiling handler; it's currently dependent on the modpython handler. I don't think there's a whole lot of extra work required to port it over, but it's worth putting on the todo list so it isn't forgotten.
Graham D also posted a wsgi equivalent piece of code.
- port to WSGIHandler
- move the wsgi-equivalent code to the docs, or the wiki, or django-snippets; and remove from the codebase altogether when removing mod_python