Various minor errors in the tutorial
|Reported by:||jjinux||Owned by:||nobody|
|Has patch:||no||Needs documentation:||no|
|Needs tests:||no||Patch needs improvement:||no|
Description (last modified by gwilson)
Here is a list of minor errors or improvements that I kept while I read the tutorial:
- This example doesn't indent the HTML in a for loop, but elsewhere in the tutorial, they do.
- The phrase django.contrib.sessions isn't hyperlinked like the others on this page.
- The grammar in the following is wrong: "The first register Choice with the admin just as we did with Poll."
- It says, "When you ran python django-admin.py startproject mysite at the beginning of Tutorial 1". Actually, it didn't say to use "python", but rather to execute the script directly.
- It says, "it loads the associated Python package/module: mysite.polls.views.detail." "detail" isn't a module, it's a function.
- It says, "Now that we've decoupled that, we need to decouple the 'mysite.polls.urls' URLconf by removing the leading "polls/" from each line:". It should be more explicit that you should get rid of all the stuff related to admin. After all, the text did tell you to copy the file mysite/urls.py to mysite/polls/urls.py.
- Since the tutorial aims to not couple the polls app to the mysite project, it makes sense to remove the polls package from the mysite package. Otherwise, you end up with the following stuff in the URLconf: (r'^(?P<poll_id>\d+)/vote/$', 'mysite.polls.views.vote'). In general, egrep -r "mysite.polls" mysite should find no matches.
- There's a problem in using a relative URL for the form. If you go to http://localhost:8001/polls/1/ and just click "Vote", it'll bring you to http://localhost:8001/polls/1/vote/. If you click "Vote" again, you'll get http://localhost:8001/polls/1/vote/vote/, which leads to a 404. Even if you enter a valid value, clicking on "Vote" this second time around will lead to a 404.
Change History (4)
comment:1 Changed 7 years ago by jjinux
- Needs documentation unset
- Needs tests unset
- Patch needs improvement unset