|Version 19 (modified by robhudson, 5 years ago) (diff)|
Original Admin UI proposal: http://groups.google.com/group/django-developers/browse_thread/thread/1edf77c9c8b1101d/4ecda5e4c982c7e1
Updated branch on Github: http://github.com/dgouldin/django/tree/soc2009/admin-ui
- Commits should be broken up into a series of patches -- 1 for each incremental improvement or feature (e.g. autocomplete, selector inlines, etc).
- All the JS for the admin should be minified, but we need to ship maximized versions too, for ease of editing, and then have a build process do the minification.
- Note: This may be better saved for last.
- Document where js libs come from for ease of checking on new versions and finding full source.
Suggested individual patches.
- An OrderingField as suggested here: http://groups.google.com/group/django-developers/browse_thread/thread/480662576c49edd/3aca77d981804528.
- Add django.forms.formset.empty_form method.
- Admin Inline updates, including
- Dynamically add new inline on page (depends on empty_form)
- Drag and drop inline re-ordering if order_field provided on ModelAdmin class. (depends on OrderingField)
- Selector Inlines (with dynamic adds and drag and drop)
- ForeignKey autocomplete
- ManyToMany autocomplete
ForeignKey and ManyToMany autocomplete is being worked on by Rob Hudson on the Github tree: http://github.com/robhudson/django/tree/autocomplete
- ForeignKey autocomplete:
- No docs
- No tests
- If FK is the first field in the admin, the JS focuses on the ID box rather than the text search box.
- Similarly, if you click the text label the focus is on the ID rather than the text search box.
- Changing the ID does not pull the name into the text search box.
- Clicking the magnifier opens a new window to choose an object, selecting an object only updates the ID box, no the text search box.
- Should the ID box be hidden from the user? I can see arguments either way.
Summary of commits on the soc2009/admin-ui branch:
- jQuery itself.
- Stacked Inline add new inline dynamically.
- Selector Inlines (based on Wilson Miner's mockup http://media.wilsonminer.com/images/django/related-objects-stacked.gif)
- Tabular Inline ordering. Given an order_field on the TabularInline admin object.
- models.fields.OrderField added, subclass of IntegerField with default=0.
- ForeignKeySearchInput widget, which does autocompletion on Foreign key fields.
- ManyToManySearchInput, autocompletion for m2m fields.
Possibly related tickets: