|Version 1 (modified by 11 years ago) (diff),|
This page is to make an impact analysis on the Django source to see what parts of it need what changes if we want to switch Django from using utf-8 bytestrings internally to fully use unicode strings internally.
Just a pin-down of things that spring to mind, all of them need more complete checking:
- database backends need to handle unicode vs. DATABASE_ENCODING translations
- special casing: the psycopg backend will need type handlers for string types (just as it already has type handlers for date/time types)
- the HTTPResponse sending machinery needs to do the unicode to DEFAULT_ENCODING translation
- internal usage of str() needs to be checked and supposedly changed over to unicode() usage
- debugging stuff needs to use repr() on strings, not str() (or use unicode() and let the HTTP response handling stuff handle the conversion - most debugging stuff is working with the response machinery anyway)
- mail sending functions need to do the right thing with the MIME type
Please either complete the above list or add headlines with more detailed discussions of the points above.