|Version 22 (modified by jacob, 10 years ago) (diff)|
Google's Summer of Code 2006
Django (and the Lawrence Journal-World) is a sponsoring organization for the 2006 Google Summer of Code. (Read Google's page for more information on how the program works.)
If you're interesting in mentoring -- supervising a student in work on Django-related activities -- sign up over at Google and then add your name below:
- Jacob Kaplan-Moss
- Matt Croydon
- James Bennett
- Adrian Holovaty
- Simon Blanchard
- Ian Holsman
- Kenneth Gonsalves
Student applications open May 1st. Watch django-users for an announcement when the signups open.
Here are some suggestions for projects students may want to propose (lazyweb: please add to this list!). This isn't by any means the be-all and end-all of ideas; please feel free to submit proposals for things not on this list.
Try to scope ideas/proposals to the 4-month timeline -- simply proposing to fix a ticket or two will probably result in your proposal being rejected in favor of a more ambitious one. The SOC does not cover activities other than coding, so certain ideas ("Write a more detailed tutorial" or "Create demonstration screencasts" or "Add a pony") are not suitable for inclusion here.
- Build a public repository for reusable Django applications. This probably includes:
- a standard way of packaging Django apps for distribution
- infastructure for automatically downloading and installing packaged Django apps.
- Create Django packages and buildscripts for Linux (various), FreeBSD (There already is one www/py-django), OS X (Fink and Darwinports), etc.
- Create a generic, reusable search/indexer component.
- Enhance the admin's support of rich media:
- create a file explorer for MEDIA_ROOT in the admin: browsing and making directories, uploading files
- automatically make thumbnails from ImageFields (with programmable "PIL modes" (i.e. adding borders, overlaying png's))
- validation of image type, sizes, etc
- support for uploading large files through the admin with a pretty progress indicator
- Implement ModelInheritance.
- Implement SchemaEvolution.