|Version 14 (modified by , 9 years ago) (diff)|
Google's Summer of Code 2006
Django (and the Lawrence Journal-World) is a sponsoring organization for the 2006 Google Summer of Code. (Read Google's page for more information on how the program works.)
If you're interesting in mentoring -- supervising a student in work on Django-related activities -- sign up over at Google and then add your name below:
Student applications open May 1st. Watch django-users for an announcement when the signups open.
Here are some suggestions for projects students may want to propose (lazyweb: please add to this list!). This isn't by any means the be-all and end-all of ideas; please feel free to submit proposals for things not on this list.
- Take the example application from "Agile Web Development with Rails" and redo it in Django.
- Write a tool that will convert a model into a DOT file format to create a graphical presentation of the models.
- Implement ticket #115, Models CRUD via web service support.
- Build a public repository for reusable Django applications.
- Create demonstration screencasts for Django milestone:1.0
- Create Django packages for Linux (various), FreeBSD (There already is one www/py-django), OS X (Fink and Darwinports), etc.
- Enhance editor/IDE support for Django Python and Django templates.
- Smooth deployment for servers other than Apache/mod_python.
- Add support for (sane) model updates involving ALTER TABLE.
- File explorer for MEDIA_ROOT in the admin: browsing and making directories, uploading files, making thumbnails with programmable "PIL modes" (i.e. adding borders, overlaying png's)
- Add a pony.
- Implement ModelInheritance