|Version 10 (modified by gwilson, 8 years ago) (diff)|
Django sprint at PyCon 2008
We'll be holding a Django sprint at PyCon 2008 in Chicago. The dedicated sprint days are March 17th - March 20th. More details will be posted here and announced on django-dev as we get closer to the time of the sprint.
What is a sprint?
Basically, a Django sprint is an excuse for people to focus their undivided attention, for a set time frame, on improving Django. It's a focused, scheduled effort to fix bugs, add new features and improve documentation.
Anybody, anywhere around the world, can participate and contribute. (See the "How to contribute" section below for details.) Most contributors will be at their own homes/schools/workplaces, but a number of people will gather together in person for camaraderie, improved communication and the other benefits of face-to-face interaction.
If you've never contributed to Django before, this is the perfect chance for you to chip in.
How to contribute
It's easy: Pick something to work on and do it. All sorts of tasks are available, from hard-core hacking to improving documentation to fixing small bugs.
Volunteers looking to get an early start should take a look at the SprintIdeas page and clean it up so that it'll be useful once March rolls around.
Preparing for the sprint
Here are a few easy things you can do ahead of time to make sure your time is spent effectively:
- Read our "Contributing to Django" document.
- Install the "trunk" version of Django (aka the Django development version).
- Create an account in our ticket system. This will allow you to claim tickets you're working on.
- Familiarize yourself with our ticket system and reports.
- Get an IRC client, so that you can join us in the channel #django-sprint on Freenode.
If you plan to participate in the sprint, please add your name below:
At PyCon (Chicago)
- Ales Zoulek (3/17 - 3/20)
- Alex Gaynor (local)
- Brian Rosner (3/17 - 3/20)
- Gary Wilson (3/17 - 3/18)
- Honza Kral (3/17 - 3/20)
- Jacob Kaplan-Moss (3/17 - 3/20)
- Jakub Vysoky (3/17 - 3/20)
- Michael Trier (3/17 - 3/20)
- Ondrej Kohout (3/17 - 3/20)
- Tom Tobin (local)
- Nick Efford (Leeds, UK; GMT)