|Version 15 (modified by jcd, 8 years ago) (diff)|
Documentation sprint, April 12 - 13, 2008
We're having a mini-sprint to refactor the documentation this weekend. If you want to help out, join us in #django-sprint.
Well, a lot. See the notes on contributing to the docsprint. However, here are some specific things that can be done now (i.e. aren't dependent on other folks work:
- Replace all images (.. image:: and .. figure:: directives) with local image files -- right now they use absolute URLs to Django's media server. Images should be put in in _static directory next to the document they're used in. For an example, see internals/contributing.txt and the associated internals/_static directory.
- Add correct Sphinx markup to intro/ directory.
- Write intro/install.txt. It should be based on topics/install, but much much simpler -- geared towards folks just getting started. Python 2.5, sqlite should be the focus.
- Finish applying django-admin and django-admin-option markup in ref/django-admin.txt.
- (HUGE): break up model documentation (currently all in topics/db/models and ref/models/querysets into all the various outlined documents in ref/models and topics/db.
- (QUITE LARGE): break up forms documentation from topics/forms/index into the outlined content in topics/forms and ref/forms.
- Fix up generic views: adapt Chapter 9 of the Django Book (consider this TODO item my permission and license) into topics/generic-views; remove the intro material from ref/generic-views and just leave the overall reference.
- Add glossary directives for "important" terms. A very small starting list can be found in the contributing documentation, but there's many more candidates for glossary.
- Start looking at the generated index (look in _build/html/genindex.html after running a build) and improving it by adding index directives where appropriate.
- Fill in empty documents with content (most will just be moved from other places). Currently empty files:
./howto/custom-management-commands.txt ./howto/newforms-migration.txt ./howto/split-models.txt ./howto/standalone-templates.txt ./howto/url-best-practices.txt ./obsolete/pagination.txt ./topics/db/managers.txt ./topics/db/queries.txt ./topics/db/sql.txt ./topics/http/auth.txt ./topics/http/generic-views.txt
If you choose to do any of these items, remove it from above and add your name/IRC handle below.
Oh, one other thing:
- Add more items to this TODO list.
Who's doing what
Please indicate what you're working on below so that we can easily keep track.
- jacobkm -- hacking on the build system
cramm -- adding cross-ref targets at the top of documents still missing it. jcd -- annotating ref/settings with targets. knmurphy -- moving over topics/templates to ref/templates/builtins and annotating with templatetag/templatefilter directives yml -- annotating ref/request-response
- jezdez -- adding module specific markup and description units to contrib/*
- knmurphy -- moving topics/middleware into ref/middleware
jacobkm -- refactoring faq/ to have correct links
- SimonW -- refactoring template docs in to smaller files
- jcd -- adding :setting: xrefs through documentation