`prefetch_related` recursion protection does not cover all cases
|Reported by:||StillNewb||Owned by:||nobody|
|Component:||Database layer (models, ORM)||Version:||master|
|Has patch:||no||Needs documentation:||no|
|Needs tests:||no||Patch needs improvement:||no|
This issue related to #17014
prefetch_related collects additional prefetch lookups made by querysets that are created during prefetching, and handle them to in addition to lookups defined by user.
Sometimes it can casue infinite recursion, so for preventing that, there needed some mechanism that ensures that prefetches that was already done, would not be performed again.
Problems in the code:
Now that mechanism stores descriptors of relational fields and checks against them every iteration.
Python descriptor is shared against instances of classes. So descriptor represents relational field of model, not field of instance.
For same relation and different sets of instances there are different prefetch queries, so descriptors cant be used as identifiers for facts that lookup was already prefetched.
And I also would add that passing descriptors around is very much unpythonic and not healthy practice in general. Descriptors are advanced properties, they must serve for same purpose as properties - hiding some logic in attribute assigment/deletion/retrieving.
Reason here - is to identify lookups while traversing data relationships and never repeat them.
In code this reason is not well exporessed:
- There is done_queries and followed_descriptors - two places for same thing.
- Check is against descriptors, but in done_queries lookup paths is being added.
- Check against lookup type (auto lookup or normal) is redundant, there is no difference between auto-lookups and normal lookups in matter of which allowed to spam, they must be checked for which was already done uniformly.
Specific problem is in the check condition for adding in done_lookups - not (lookup in auto_lookups and descriptor in followed_descriptors) - intention here was "if this is not autolookup, descriptor for which is already seen, and presumably lookup path for it was added to done_queries - not adding it to done_queries. So autolookup-spam will be stopped".
But what if descriptor for field, throug lookup-spam assumed to flow, was already added while performing different lookup with different data/parameters? If that lookup will be autolookup - it will never be added to done_queries and would be allowed to be performed infinity number of times.
There is too much unneeded complexity in that code.
Ive made the patch with two tests.
Change History (5)
Changed 20 months ago by StillNewb
comment:1 Changed 17 months ago by bmispelon
- Needs documentation unset
- Needs tests unset
- Patch needs improvement unset
- Resolution set to needsinfo
- Status changed from new to closed
comment:2 Changed 16 months ago by Pashkin
- Resolution needsinfo deleted
- Status changed from closed to new
comment:3 Changed 14 months ago by timo
- Component changed from Uncategorized to Database layer (models, ORM)
- Triage Stage changed from Unreviewed to Accepted